IELTS Vocabulary List for Writing
Lear how to use vocabulary in writing and speaking in IELTS Preparation.
Vocabulary for generalising a statement:
All in all…..
By and large…..
As a rule…..
On the whole….
All things considered…..
1) All things considered a certain reserved position for women in high-level job is actually a good idea to empower the women towards the overall betterment of the organization and society.
2) In general it can be stated that in upcoming few years human will be blessed with adequate facilities, which definitely will make their lives quite easier, due to advanced technology.
3) As a rule, in most of the countries a zoological garden is monitored strictly and the health, treatment and foods are properly ensured for the animals they keep.
Vocabulary for expressing condition:
Some arguments and statements in your essay would require you to show that it is dependent on some condition. Following is the list of vocabularies you can use to present condition in your writing.
Because of that…..
For this reason…..
1) If the proper measurements and initiatives are not taken, the pollution will keep on increasing and that would someday threaten the existence of our life.
2) Unless we change our diet and get involved in some sort of outdoor activities and sports, the average weight would kept on increasing.
3) For this reasons, we should preserve a certain percentage of high level job for qualified women.
Vocabulary for expressing Agreement:
In agreement/ disagreement essay you will often need to express whether you agree/ disagree or partially agree with a given statement or opinion. Following vocabularies would be helpful to express your agreement with something.
I quite agree that….
I strongly agree…..
I completely agree that…..
I totally agree with the given idea that…..
I agree with the opinion that…..
I am quite inclined to the opinion that…..
I could not agree more…..
I concur with the group who believe that…..
I accept that…..
I accept the fact that…..
I approve the idea…..
I am in agreement…..
I consent that…..
1) I quite agree that owning a car have far more advantages that disadvantages.
2) I am in agreement with the group of people who believe that the government should build more sports facilitates to promote public health.
3) I agree with the opinion that more taxes should be imposed on fast food items.
Vocabulary for expressing Disagreement:
Following are some useful vocabulary to use whenever you want to express your disagreement with an idea, opinion or statement. You will usually use those in agreement/ disagreement type IETLS essay.
I disagree with the opinion that….
I strongly disagree…..
I completely disagree with…..
I totally disagree with the given idea that…..
I disagree with the statement…..
I quite oppose the opinion that…..
I disapprove that…..
I totally do not accept the fact that…..
My own opinion contradicts…..
I disagree with the group of people…..
However, my opinion is different…..
1) I quite disagree that building more roads only can solve the ever increasing traffic problem in most cities.
2) I oppose the opinion that government has no responsibilities for supporting the senior citizens.
3) My opinion contradicts with the group of people who believe that space research has no value for us.
Vocabulary for expressing partial agreement:
In some cases you will have opinion or point of view that would not completely agree or disagree with a given opinion or statement. In this case you should clearly mention that you partially agree with the opinion but to some extent you also disagree to this. In these cases, using the following vocabulary will be very helpful.
To some extent…..
In a way…..
I agree to the given statement to some extent…..
Up to a point I agree…..
More or less…..
So to speak…..
1) In a way I agree that it is government’s responsibility to keep the environment clean, but without individual effort it cannot be achieved.
2) To some extent I agree with the opinion that space research is a waste of money but the invaluable effects these researches can have could not be denied.
3) So to speak, mothers play the most important role to upbringing the children, however, the contribution a father can have to the children can’t be ignored.
Vocabulary for expressing certainty:
To make a point or argument stronger, you often need to show the certainty of your expression. To do so use the following list of vocabularies:
Without any doubt…..
1) Of course, learning from books in a formal educational institutions and learning from books for someone’s own interest are highly important.
2) Definitely practical lessons help us to have more deeply understanding, while theory learned from books will be forgotten far easier.
3) Undoubtedly ultimate exhaust of natural resources would create a chaos and many wild lives would be endangered as well.
Vocabulary for Adding further information:
In your essay you need to present reasons and arguments to make your point of view stronger. For this you often need to add multiple examples or cases and those examples or cases should be connected using some linking words. Such linking words are given below so that you can use them in your IELTS essay.
As well as…..
In a similar fashion…..
1) What’s more, university education should be based on talent and performance, not based on equal gender opportunity.
2) Likewise, if the popular media provides good news such as educational, scientific and so on, this can motivate the young generation to achieve more knowledge.
3) Even, second or third changes to those heinous criminals are often found fruitless and they committed crime again.
Vocabulary for presenting time or sequence:
Expressing the time or sequence is important to show a natural flow in your arguments and paragraphs. Important vocabularies that can be used to show time or sequence are given below.
At the same time…..
As soon as…..
After this / that…..
1) At the same time the technological revolution affects all countries around the world in many ways significantly.
2) Meanwhile we should try our best to put every effort to make our environment clean.
3) Afterwards, these steps could help mass people to be aware about the danger of their fast food intakes.
(Source – Internet)