IELTS Speaking Cue Card with Sample Answer. Talk About Your Hobby or Leisure Activity Cue Card. IELTS Speaking Part 2 With Model Answer.
Hobby or Leisure Activity
- What you do
- Who you do it with
- Where you do it
- And explain why you like to spend your free time this way.
Tips for answering this cue card topic:
1. I enjoy doing it and this is something I cherish.
2. This is an educative hobby and because of this hobby, I have learned many things that were quite impossible to learn in other ways.
3. I value this hobby and it is something that I enjoy from my heart.
4. The time I spent on this hobby is worthy of it.
5. I have been doing it for a long time and a passion for it has grown inside me.
6. This hobby reminds me my childhood and I particularly enjoy that.
7. I can share this hobby with others and this is a good way enhancing relationship and friendship.
8. I learned it from my father and that’s something I really love.
9. I think the time I spend on it is better than playing video games.
10. I love doing it and that’s the most important to me.
2. Coin collecting.
10. Wood carving
13. Mountain biking
15. Art collecting
21. Dancing etc.
Model Answer 1:
My hobbies are watching TV, listening to music and doing a little bit of
Whenever I‟m tired , I listen to music.
I like all types of music.
When I listen to music, all my worries and tensions fly away.
Whenever I get free time, I do some gardening also.
I have a kitchen garden in the back of my house and a small lawn in the front.
I talk to my plants, share my joys and sorrows with them, I get a feeling that they
are listening to me.
Sometimes I gift a vegetable or a flower to my neighbours as a token of my love.
I also watch TV whenever I can grab time.
My favourite channel is Animal Planet.
I like this channel mainly because I am an animal lover.
Every time I switch on the TV and watch this channel, I get a new word of
In this way it improves my vocabulary also.
Model Answer 2:
Today I am going to talk about a hobby I particularly enjoy when I am at home in the UK. I will tell you what the hobby is; how long I have been doing it; who I do it with and why it is important to me.
My hobby is running! I know I do not really look like a runner, and it is true I am not very fast, but this is still the activity that I like to do in my spare time.
I have not been running for very long. I started running just 18 months ago, as I decided I needed to get fit, and I thought it would be a cheap way to exercise. I did not expect to enjoy myself. Near to where I live, there is a park. It is very beautiful with trees and streams. Each Saturday a large group of about 500 people meet at 9.00 a.m. in the morning and go for a 5 km run together. This event is called Parkrun, and it happens in over 300 different places in the UK each week. I was nervous when I first went but found the group was friendly and encouraging. Now I go every week, and I even have trained for some longer races 10 km and my longest was 20 k.m.!
I have made lots of friends through running. However, the best surprise was that when I went to my local Parkrun, I met someone I had not seen for over 30 years! We had been at school together but did not keep in touch. We had both moved to the new city of Sheffield and did not realise we lived so close to each other. Now I run with this friend every week, and we go for breakfast each Saturday after our run.
Running is important to me because it keeps me fit, has helped me make new friends, and it has shown me that I am not too old to try new things! I hope you all find activities that you enjoy doing in your spare time!
Model Answer 3:
- I am a student and because of my studies I don’t get much leisure time but whatever free time I get, I love to spend with my family and friends.
- Generally I spend my leisure time at home but sometimes I go out with my friends.
- We go to restaurants for eating out or to parks to enjoy fresh air for some time.
- I enjoy this time as I love my family and friends.
- Most of my evenings, I spend with my family.
- We watch TV together as we all love watching reality shows such as Jhalak Dikhla Ja, Dance India Dance and Indian Idol.
- We enjoy our dinner together and during that time we discuss our day’s happenings with each other.
- I also pursue my hobbies in my leisure time.
- I have a number of hobbies such as listening to music, watching TV and doing a little bit of gardening.
- Whenever I get free time I love listening to music.
- I like all types of music.
- Whenever I listen to music all my worries and tensions fly away.
- When I am with my friends I love listening to fast beats but when I am alone I listen soft music.
- Every morning and evening, I grab some time for my kitchen garden.
- I grow seasonal vegetables such as okra, aubergine and zucchini in the backyard of my home.
- I also grow coriander, mint, green chillies and there is also one lemon tree which looks very beautiful when it is full of ripe lemons.
- Actually, I was inspired to set up this kitchen garden by my neighbour.
- He has maintained a beautiful kitchen garden.
- Sometimes he used to gift us vegetables from his kitchen garden.
- He guides me about the care of plants from time to time.
- It is a very fulfilling hobby.
- Now everybody in my home is proud of my kitchen garden and we all maintain it jointly.
Model Answer 4:
Today I am going to talk about an activity that I do in my spare time. I will explain what the hobby is; how long I have been doing it; who I do it with and why it is important to me.
I don’t think you will be able to guess what my hobby is because it is quite unusual! In my free time, I work at an Alpaca Farm! An alpaca is an animal that is kept for its fleece, they look a little bit like sheep but with a very long neck! They are related to camels and llamas which you may recognise more easily. They usually live in South America, but there is an Alpaca Farm near to me in Sheffield and I work there at weekends. Although it is called an Alpaca Farm, in fact, there are lots of different animals there: horses; goats; sheep; some ducks and hens and even some llamas.
Working with the alpacas and the other animals on the farm means I have to get there early in the morning. I help to feed the animals and clean up after them. Sometimes I have to drive a tractor to take hay and water out to the horses. Often there are visitors to the farm and I will give them a guided tour and introduce them to all the different animals. At some times of the year, I help with special jobs to care for them, such as giving injections to protect them from illnesses or trimming their toenails if they get too long. My favourite time of year to help is in the spring when baby Alpacas are born. New-born alpacas have to stand up very quickly and within hours are drinking milk from their mothers and running around – it is amazing to watch.
I work on the farm with the farm manager. He is a very kind and funny man. Although we might not seem to have much in common on the surface, we get on really well together. We laugh and talk all the time whilst we are getting the jobs done.
Although my hobby is unusual it is very important to me. My full-time job is in indoors in an office and a lot of the time I am sitting down, so at weekends I like to get outside into the countryside and do some physical work that is completely different. I love the animals, the fresh air and the exercise. I also really enjoy talking with the farm manager as he can tell great stories. In the winter though it can be very cold, and trudging through 3 foot of snow to feed the animals is really exhausting. On those days I am glad that working with the Alpacas is just a hobby, I can spend the rest of the week in the warm!
Model Answer 5:
Blogging is the interest or hobby that I really enjoy and have been doing it very passionately for the last 2-3 years. A blog is basically the short form of ‘weblog’ and it lets the blogger write on topics he/she likes. It is very similar to a website and the blog posts I write is open for anyone to read using the internet. This blog is not collaborated with anyone at the moment. Currently, I am updating it alone but I have a plan to share this with some of my friends who also has interests in writing and blogging.
IELTS Speaking Part 3: Details Discussion
What do you think are the most popular types of hobbies in India?
For males it is probably cricket or football. For females I think it is either shopping or travelling.
Why do you think these hobbies are so popular?
Because, I think you need balance in life. The working life is quite hard, and one needs balance to be able to go back to work the next day. These hobbies help people to relax a bit and then give their best at work. Also sports is a good way of releasing stress, so they prefer it.
What do you think are the social benefits of hobbies?
Well, it depends on what your hobby is. For instance, if you have a hobby of reading, you are usually doing it alone and there is no such social benefits but if you are doing something like playing soccer or cricket, you are interacting with lots of people and get to know how to interact with people and make friends. It helps in exchanging ideas and opinions’ and more importantly more about them from inside.
Do you think there are any dangers in spending lot of time with hobbies?
Well, if you are spending more time in your hobby rather than your work or may be family, it could turn quite upside for you. You may end up losing some important relationships.
Similar IELTS Cue Card Topics
If you can talk about the cue card topic “Hobby or Leisure Activity” you should be able to talk about the following IELTS cue card topics as well:
- What are some constructive leisure time activities?
- How leisure time activities have changed in the last 10 years?
- What type of activity would you suggest to your kids?